Sunday, August 22, 2010

Akagera National Park






It has been awhile since my last post. Sometimes the frustrations and challenges here put you in a bad mood and so if you have nothing good to say should not say anything at all.
New RGI colleague Jim Bulluc arrived in Kigali last week and delivered 2 rolls of Copenhagen to me which was a much welcomed relief!!!
The project is moving along well. Should be fabricating trusses on site this week which would be a few weeks ahead of schedule. I am pushing the contractor quite hard.
Reviewed their site design two weeks ago and had 5 pages of comments/corrections to be made. Just as I issued these comments their Architect headed to Kenya so we are at a stand still until he arrives back hopefully this week to have the meeting I requested to review with the engineers and incorporate into final design. After this I will need their final site work pricing which will be the same struggle to get.
Took my first Saturday off from work and went to Akagera National Park. Hope you enjoyed the photos that I forwarded. Amazing experience to finely see the animals that before I had only seen in a zoo. The park was established in 1934 and is quite large but in 1994 was reduced to 1/3 its size due to the need for land based on all the Rwandans returning to the country after the genocide. Much of the park has experience wildfires during the dry season. These fires spread rapidly thru the Savannah's where the ground is covered by tall grass. The trees survive quite well. The Acacia trees are quite beautiful. Unfortunately did not see any elephants, crocodiles, lions, or snakes. Will definitely see them when I head on safari to one of the larger parks in Kenya or Tanzania while I am here.
Looking forward to returning to Seattle on 9/8 for 2 week break. Not allot of time as I return to Rwanda on 9/21. Taking the jet lag/time difference recovery into account leaves me with about 10 days to enjoy home and see family and friends.
All for now. Hope you are well. Take care.

1 comment: